Adding 1 teaspoon of golden paste twice per day to horses feed is the most effective option. However horses also respond well to having the raw ingredients added to their feed. It may help to also add water to their feed. Use 10mls turmeric, 10mls oil (if using a liquid oil), 15 grinds of whole black peppercorns, twice per day. These doses can be increased after a week until an improvement in symptoms is noticed. Horses that are fed concentrate feeds that include oil may not need oil added. If you use micronized linseed use 3 times the amount of liquid oils.
Golden Paste Ingredients
- 125ml turmeric powder
- 250ml water (plus some extra available to add if necessary)
- 70mls cold pressed Olive or Coconut oil
- 2-3 teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper
- Add turmeric and water together in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer and stir until you have a thick paste (7-10 mins). Add more water if required.
- Leave it to cool enough to touch then add freshly ground pepper and oil and mix thoroughly
- Put the paste in a sterile glass container and refridgerate
Golden Paste will last for about two weeks refrigerated but can also be frozen.